The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
How amused you were when I would pinch my throat and say “mother promise” when you wanted my confirmation that I would really do something, Mi! I’ve made millions of promises to you, and of course I am guilty about not keeping quite a few. I used to annoy you, when you said “But you promised, Vidya!” that promises were like pie-crust, made to be broken. Yep, convenient French proverb. But of course I was kidding!
But I also know that over the years, you appreciated me very much for never dodging a commitment I had made. It simply goes against my grain to tell someone I’ll do something and not do it.
Still, I do have some bête noires that haunt me. All I know is I am sure I will fulfill them, just a little later than sooner.
Today, I have many promises to make, to myself.
I promise to
- Focus on self-care. This essential means sleeping earlier than usual and ensuring I get my 7-8 hours of zzz.
- Be even more conscious about eating on time, eating healthy, drinking enough water. Of course I do this, but hey, I do slip up. I will try not to do that.
- Avoid getting stressed out. What is the use anyway? When I do freak out, I will have a cup of coffee/blast the music out loud/clean a room.
- Wake early and finish my gym workout to avoid making excuses not to go after 9. Obviously! It is so annoying to go after winding up in the kitchen and feels as though half my day is over.
- Set aside time for reading, rather than do it randomly throughout the day whenever I get the time or feel the urge. I saw you wrinkle your nose at that!
- Follow a schedule for the day. Somewhere down the road I’ve strayed around. I do make a timetable for the day, but am so easily distracted with my too much to do list that I just run around like a drunk possum. I really must manage my time better! I don’t even have social media as an excuse as I am strong enough to stay away from it most of the time.
- Procrastinate less. Yeah, yeah. I know. Disapprove all you want, but you can’t deny that I get everything done even if I sometimes rely a bit too much on that 11th Still, not really an excuse. These days I am carrying that dependence on the 11th hour too far, or overestimating my ability to do things in the time I assume it will take. I am well aware I need a swift kick in the derriere. And I have good friends ever ready to deliver it.
- Work to stay on schedule over the five ebooks I plan to self-publish, which is by the end of this year.
- Edit and publish “Collecting Smiles” the anthology I had planned to publish last year. Sigh. So guilty.
I made some promises to Vidur last week.
I said I would purge all the extras at home. We had planned to do it together but somehow, too many other things occupied our time and it seemed more important to spend time together having fun rather than breaking our heads over spring cleaning.
I am making headway, but it is slow. As I told you, it is tough doing it alone. I am giving something away every day. When I sleep at night, I ask myself “what good did I do today?” and make sure I list at least 3 things, if not more.
I treasure the advice you gave me, Mi. Never go to bed upset, never forget to say I love you, never hold a grudge, forgive easily.
I promised I would always remember and follow it, and I do.
Still, I have miles to go before I sleep. And I wish you were holding my hand and walking with me.
I am proud of my Team Crimson Rush